June 4, 2008

Chicken Fingers and PB&J

Filed under: 100 Days of Summer,Foodz,Rants,You Suck — Katrina @ 7:20 pm

Now, for a cultureless culinary edition of…

YOU SUCK!!!!

So I was glancing through some menus of local restaurants earlier today while I was at work, making myself hungry. Italian. Tex-Mex. Asian fusion. Good stuff. But there was one common little problem each of these menus had, a common little problem very common to menus.

It was, of course, the kids’ menu.

Yes, yes, I know, of course the crazy youth rights supporter who thinks kids and adults should be treated equally is going to bitch about kids’ menus. Well, why not? It’s a portion of the menu specifically designed to single out a portion of the clientele based on how long they lived, and say “this is what you’re supposed to be eating”. For the same reason, the senior’s menu some restaurants have is also wrong.

If the senior citizens are supposed to be eating heart healthier foods or whatever other requirements their diets may have, just have a portion of the menu that meets those requirements and leave the age labels out of it. Kids need smaller portions? Fine, make a section of the menu for smaller portions.

Well, I wish it were that simple. Some restaurants get it right, in that the kids’ menu is just smaller cheaper meal of the same basic stuff that is on the regular menu. Despite the ageist separation, that at least redeems itself a little.

But on the menus I looked at earlier I saw something worse. The regular menu consisted of nice yummy Italian dishes or the usual fancy Mexican delights. The kids’ menu? Chicken fingers. Hot dog. Peanut butter and jelly. Fish sticks. Hamburger. Spaghetti. Grilled cheese.

What?!

Ah, yes, because those are all kids are ever willing to eat, right? Give me a break. I mean, if you want to have that stuff available at least, fine, but it shouldn’t be ALL that’s on the kid’s menu. Some problem with the Mexican restaurant maybe having small tacos or burritos for the kids? Some problem with the Italian restaurant having at least something more than basic spaghetti and sauce?

Because there’s the issue with this. That means that the kids are pretty much stuck with the stupid boring “American” crap on their menu, seeing as the regular menu items tend to be too large portions for them. If a 5-year-old wants fajitas, his portion would last him a month! True, he could always share with a parent or sibling or whoever, but that’s beside the point and not an option if no one else wants fajitas. Maybe if there were a kids’ menu version of fajitas that’d be cheaper and more his portion size? No, no, you’re too busy assuming no kid wants anything other than burgers, dogs, and fried chicken, so that’s all you’re willing to feed him.

Adults might complain that kids have a very limited culinary palette, but, you know, whose fault do you think that is?! A limited palette is all that is expected of them and all they are provided. But even then, many kids do not fit this stereotype and will eat a wider variety of foods. And when they are dining out, they ought to be provided with this wider variety instead of your safe little kids’ menu with the fish sticks and the grilled cheese making a mockery of their culinary tastes because they do not fit the age-dictated mold of picky eating. In all kinds of ways, shown constantly around the world and all through life, kids are vastly underestimated.

This has been Day 12 of the 100 Days of Summer, Round 8.

15 Comments

1. I wholeheartedly agree.

Give us kids’ menus, damnit!

Comment by Robexib — June 4, 2008 @ 9:08 pm

2. better kids’ menus*

Comment by Robexib — June 4, 2008 @ 9:09 pm

3. Sigh.

Comment by Agnapostate — June 4, 2008 @ 11:12 pm

4. Don’t you usually make a post every day during the 100 days?

It’s about damn time, by the way. Lol.

Comment by Adamantaimai — June 5, 2008 @ 3:09 am

5. No, it’s the month of December I make a post every day, to counter how Galen never updates SnipeMe in December. Don’t have a policy like that for 100 Days. But, yeah, I know, just went a while between them, heh. Only three in May! Fail.

Comment by Katrina — June 5, 2008 @ 9:21 am

6. Most restaurants I’ve seen are willing to make smaller portions of menu items if you ask (for anyone, not just kids).

OFF TOPIC:
    What happened to the NYRA site?

Comment by maxh — June 5, 2008 @ 9:36 am

7. You need to use an interrobang.

Comment by Junulo — June 5, 2008 @ 10:37 am

8. Wrong.

The site’s back up, BTW. For this, I do need an interrobang: WHAT IN THE NAME OF SATAN HAPPENED TO THE NYRA SITE, EH‽

Comment by maxh — June 5, 2008 @ 12:30 pm

9. This rant in so true. I’m the type who always wants to eat a variety of food and I always have been. Even when I was under the age of 10. I always got really pissed off with the kids’ menu – I didn’t want bloody chips or burgers; I wanted pasta al limone and paella just like the adults! I was lucky enough to have a sister I could share my portions with – we’d always order an adult-sized portion between us and we would always ignore the kids’ menu. However, like you said, for a 5yo who wanted what was on the adults’ menu (who didn’t have anyone to share with), it would last like a month so they’d have to order from the unhealthy childrens’ menu…and they wonder why children become fat. To me, it’s fairly obvious if the child has a choice between a healthy portion that’s way too big or a kid-size portion that’s unhealthy :q:

Comment by Blue Zephyr — June 7, 2008 @ 5:29 am

10. I agree, but I also hate how in some restaurants, they have a maximum age that can order from the kids’ menus. I am the sort of person that will only eat chicken fingers and cheeseburgers.

Comment by Lisa Marie — June 7, 2008 @ 5:21 pm

11. My first ever eight mine fortress comment!

And it’s completely off-topic…

What’s the 100 days?

Comment by JohnOSevens — June 12, 2008 @ 12:43 am

12. 😆

As for 100 days, I first describe it here.

Comment by Katrina — June 12, 2008 @ 5:03 pm

13. I never even really thought about this, but it’s true. There should be a part of the menu (not based on age) with smaller portions of the same type of dishes.

Comment by Stefan — June 13, 2008 @ 7:25 am

14. @Stefan
    I don’t think there should be a separate part of the menu. If a person wants a smaller portion, just tell the waiter.

Comment by maxh — June 18, 2008 @ 11:43 am

15. I thought the senior menu at most places was the same, only discounted for being older. Still weird, but I’ve never seen one that only has healthy choices.

Comment by Jessica — June 19, 2008 @ 2:06 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed. Go away.

Powered by WordPress