February 20, 2007

Hey, Pensacola!

Filed under: Check It Out, Youth Rights — Katrina @ 7:38 pm

Was checking my site logs and happened upon a couple of referrals from the Pensacola News Journal. Sigh. It’s so typical.

Basically, a couple of guys figured they’d bring up the topic of youth rights to the happy little denizens of the news journal forums. Not surprisingly, they weren’t well received. They stated their case (somewhat) coolly, only to be met with know-it-all attitudes and patriarchal pandering. Again, not surprising.

Then I got to where the Fortress got a link. One of the guys was pointing out a couple of adults who are for youth rights, namely me and Galen, and linked to both of our sites? And what should I see? “I don’t care what vulgar idiots say.” Something like that.

Okay, it is SO on now! There was that as well as the assertion that those who grew past 18 and still supported youth rights were to be pitied.

You see, that’s where all ground is lost for them. Right there, it is evident age has little to do with it. They’re merely latching on to any reason to discredit someone who disagrees with them on such a solid ingrained belief of theirs. Can’t really fault them. It’s only human to do so. It’s also only human to have such beliefs in the first place.

The one guy, “Rob”, says he has children. By law, he basically has a lot of control over them, or used to, since I think he said they’re grown now. And since the youth rights movement, even remotely, threatens to loosen that sacred leash parents have around their children’s helpless young necks, you can understand the fear. It’s the same reason the civil rights movements take so long. People have this primal desire to control others and it is hard as hell to pry it from them, let alone convince them to let go willingly.

How often have you heard a parent of a young adult saying something like “Well, not like I can do anything, he’s 18 now…”? I have quite a bit. It is interesting. Therein lies the wish the control didn’t end. Therein also lies the obvious absurdity in this reliance on ages. If he were 17, he could unleash all kinds of obsessive parent horrors. Lots of uses of belts and bolts, in a nutshell. Once the clock strikes midnight on the 18th birthday, all that suddenly becomes holding someone against their will, assault, and any number of other things that would land you in jail. And the parents wish it wasn’t so. They’ll deny it up and down, but hints now and then suggest otherwise.

Anyway, I’m getting way off topic here. After all, I already said age has nothing to do with it. You know why? Because I disagree with this “Rob” fellow as well as the other naysayers residing in the Florida city’s borders. I’m also 23. Therefore, they would think that I, even though I’m an adult and by standards they’ve already said competent enough, am an immature idiot. That would change very quickly if I agreed with them. Because that’s what this is about. People disagree with you, and rather than doing the MATURE thing and arguing your case as if the space between your ears wasn’t made of pulverized banana peels and eggshells (that’d be weird), you merely try to discredit your opponent through superficial means.

Therefore, Pensacola anti-youth folks, you’re not only ageist. You’re insecure, immature, and, well, not very bright. And, no, being adult does not excuse you from that. That’s only true in your minds. Which apparently smell like bananas and eggs. *shrug*

8 Comments »

1. Well said, Kat.

Comment by Adam Zarnowski — February 20, 2007 @ 8:30 pm

2. Very nice. Wanna get in on the debate?

Comment by FightforRight — February 20, 2007 @ 9:47 pm

3. So in defense of the doctrine that anyone over 18 is wiser than anyone under 18, they say a 23-year-old who disagrees is an idiot. What do they say of minors who agree with them? That they’re wise beyond their years? And if that’s the case, should such minors be free–and should you be under your parents’ control? But if that’s the case, their doctrine is wrong in the first place! Perhaps they ought to admit that wisdom, maturity, etc., are not measured by tree rings.

And as for the bit about “Well, not like I can do anything, he’s 18 now…”: Isn’t that an incredibly shameful thing for a parent to say? First of all, it admits that if he were under 18, as he used to be, the only resources the parent would have would be those that are illegal when addressed to someone over 18–so quite probably something bad. Second, it confesses that the parent has failed, after having had 18 years to do so, to develop the child’s respect, along with some ability to communicate. Such a relationship would not have evaporated on the child’s 18th birthday, so the parent would still have something he or she could do: TALK to the child.

Granted, there is an alternative reading: It’s possible the parent has such an exalted notion of adults’ autonomy that he thinks giving his 18+ child advice is bad, even if the child is willing to hear it. But I suspect the other interpretation is much more commonly what’s meant.

Comment by Alexander — February 22, 2007 @ 1:33 am

4. Very good argument, Kat. I hope they see this.

Comment by Stefan — February 22, 2007 @ 7:57 am

5. “People have this primal desire to control others and it is hard as hell to pry it from them, let alone convince them to let go willingly.”

What about those of us who like to be controlled… especially by the opposite gender..? ^_^

Comment by Pakars — March 3, 2007 @ 12:02 am

6. As long as it’s your choice, knock yourself out. Or let her knock you out. Whatever.;)

Comment by Katrina — March 3, 2007 @ 1:05 pm

7. It annoys me a lot that those people consider adults for YR idiots. What about in the civil war times? Like all of the upper half of the country was for anti-slavery and almost ALL of them were free white men. Is that so much different?

Comment by Katherine — July 23, 2007 @ 6:46 pm

8. Pensacola is a fucked up place, mmkay?

Comment by maxh — August 15, 2008 @ 10:13 pm

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a comment     Click here for smilies you can use!

Powered by WordPress